At Home of Guiding Hands, the Vice President of Human Resources is responsible for leading human resource strategy through the optimization of people, processes, and programs. As a member of the Executive Team, the Vice President of Human Resources participates in informing and shaping corporate strategy to serve the organization's strategic goals and programs. The Vice President of Human Resources is responsible for developing the company's long-term strategic Human Resource plan and driving its implementation using leadership, influence, and hands-on engagement. This role manages a team of seven direct and indirect reports supporting 820+ union, non-union, on-call, part-time, full-time, salaried, and hourly employees across San Diego and Imperial Counties.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
• Partners with executive leadership and key stakeholders to ensure HR is leveraged to support the direction and growth of the organization.
• Aligns the HR investment with the needs of the organization; leads the HR planning, prioritization, and budgeting processes, ensuring sound business programs and policies.
• Serves as a strategic business partner to identify best practices and anticipate emerging trends and innovations.
• Ensures that HR delivers high service levels of customer service to the business through the appropriate use of people, processes, technology, and metrics.
• Develops organizational strategies that make sense of local and national labor trends and the organization’s existing talent base.
• Ensures that a highly talented HR team is assembled and aligned with the present and future needs of the organization through adept hiring, mentoring, and development.
• Develops workforce plans and programs that align with the organization’s overall strategic objectives.
• Assesses the workforce’s current capabilities and examines future labor trends and vacancies with leaders to ensure each department has bench strength capable of stepping into next-level positions.
• Develops and orchestrates skills and development training programs across the organization using key metrics to include: (1) bench strength analysis; (2) high potential turnover rates; and (3) succession planning.
• Directs HR functions including staffing, employee relations, training and development, diversity, compensation and benefits, employee health, workers’ compensation, and performance management.
• Confers with organization leaders to identify objectives and initiatives, develop policies, and coordinate specific functions.
• Ensures regulatory compliance with local, state, and national labor laws, wage & hour, and employee benefits laws.
• Ensures adherence to internal corporate policies and procedures, as well external guidelines such as HIPAA compliance and other external regulatory requirements.
• Oversees all key HR processes.
• Serves as primary company spokesperson for Human Resources.
• Interfaces with community leaders and outside organizations as necessary to ensure competitive advantage relative to hiring and retaining staff.
• Attends community and industry meetings and conferences; networks with like organizations and individuals, ensuring professional development and gaining and maintaining industry relationships.
• Communicates a vision that provides direct reports with direction and focus to accomplish their functions; delegates significant responsibilities to team members and holds them accountable.
• Demonstrates leadership competencies and behaviors and models the organization’s cultural values and attributes.
• Acts as a strong change management leader; identifies and develops talented individuals to drive innovation and transformation change for and within the organization.
• Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
• COVID -19 vaccinated and boosted.
• Reliable transportation, a valid CA driver license and vehicle insurance throughout the course of employment.
• Ability to clear fingerprinting and background checks as required for the position.
Education & Experience
• A Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources Development or Management, Industrial or Labor Relations, Organizational Development, or related area from an accredited institution.
• Minimum of seven (7) years of progressive, broad-based director-level or above human resources experience to include oversight of all HR functional areas.
• Progressive HR experience within the State of CA with a strong working knowledge of CA labor laws and all other regulatory requirements in CA.
• Demonstrated experience with management at a senior level with a sequence of increasing responsibilities in large and diverse business settings.
• Familiarity with health care or healthcare-related organizations.
• Understanding of strategic and business planning methods, tools, and processes.
• Experience working through major organizational change.
• A track record of working in a geographically diverse (San Diego and Imperial Counties), complex organization.
• Successful large project implementations.
• Demonstrated business savvy to work effectively with other Executives to drive optimal success with key HR strategic initiatives.
• Strong project management skills.
• 2 years of Executive Management experience.
• Master’s Degree in Organizational Development with a focus on Organizational Psychology or other related fields such as, but not limited to, Organizational Behavior or Psychology or Sociology,
• HRCI SPHR or PHR-CA, or SHRM SCP certification.
• Experience with non-profit social services or healthcare organizations.
• Local San Diego County candidates preferred; relocation assistance is not available for this position.
o This position is an in-office position; remote work is not available.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Superb organizational ability and exceptionally analytical.
• Above average technology skills to operate desktop and laptop computers.
• Mastery of the English language; with the ability to adapt communication style to audience.
• Advanced, hands-on working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
• HRMS program (Paycom preferred) including HRIS, talent acquisition, talent management, leave of absence management, training, time management, ACA tracking & reporting, HR documents and checklists, benefits and COBRA administration, government and compliance tracking & reporting, and employee and management self-service.
• Prior experience or knowledge of training software platforms. Relias preferred.
• Innovative: Keeps an open mind by embracing change, taking calculated risks, learning from mistakes, and maintaining a creative mindset to continuously improve the care, support, and service provided.
• Collaboration: Builds trust and develops partnerships with others, within and across boundaries, to offer the best service and drive excellent outcomes.
• Accountability: Embodies integrity, ethical behavior, and responsible stewardship in all work and interactions with others within the organization, community members, and organizations that support HGH.
• Respect: Holds others in high regard by honoring values, viewpoints, and contributions, and treating others the way I want to be treated.
• Empathy: Listens with curiosity and without judgment, speaks with candor, and seeks first to understand to best meet the needs of others.
• Employee Engagement: Creates an engaging landscape within the department that allows for and applauds individual value, autonomy, growth, impact, and connection.
• Leadership Courage: Able and willing to have difficult discussions and to make difficult decisions for the betterment of the organization. Provides coaching to leaders so they can orchestrate difficult discussions and decisions.
• Influence: Facilitates alignment with individuals and teams to ensure all are moving in the same direction, toward a pre-defined desired outcome.
• Builds Relationships (Person-Centered): Establishes and maintains effective connections within and outside the department and organization, which develops trust, allows others to share ideas without criticism and maximizes work accomplishments.
• Develops People: Helps others to become more effective through strengths development, clear expectations, encouragement, and coaching.
• Critical Thinker: Seeks information, critically evaluates information, and applies the knowledge gained to solve problems.
• Management and Finance Acumen: Makes sound business decisions to support the organization’s financial strength, vision, and values. Understands financial statements and manages expenses to stay within department budget parameters.
• Verbal and Written Communication: Shares information concisely and with purpose and is open to hearing the opinions of others.
• Prolonged periods of sitting, walking, and standing throughout the workday.
• Visual acuity to see up close and long distances. Dexterity to perform tasks, particularly with the hands. Hearing is sufficient to adequately hear discussions on the telephone and when in large meetings.
• Driving and occasional travel within San Diego and Imperial Counties to attend meetings or conferences.
To apply for this position, please click here.